Sunday, October 2, 2011

Homemade Whole Wheat Hamburger Buns

I've been in an organic phase lately. hopefully it's not just a phase.... ha, we will see. anywho, i've been doing alot of reading about the health benefits of eating whole wheat vs. "enriched" flours. you can google it, there's tons of info out there. but basically white breads are made with flour grains that after processing or air puffs loaded with lots of calories and carbs and no nutrients. yuck! well, buying whole is somewhat more expensive, so i started making my own to save a few $. here's my recipe.
ingredients needed:
3 T milk
2 T honey
2 t active dry yeast
1 c warm water
1 egg
2 1/2 c whole wheat flour
1 t salt
2 1/2 T butter
Sesame Seeds
Combine warm water, honey, milk and yeast. set aside and allow it to become foamy, approx 5 min.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In stand mixer combine salt, flour and butter and mix until you have a "crumble" texture. Some may prefer to do this with their hands. I do it with my stand mixer and dough hook for convenience and I haven't had any problems to date.

Slowly add your water/yeast mixture and beaten egg and knead for 5 minutes. If you are kneading by hand it will take a little longer. the mix will be somewhat sticky at this point. If it has a more wet appearance add more flour. Cover and let rise for 2 hours.

After your two hour break, get out your rolling pin and cookie cutter. If you don't have these items, improvise!
My rolling pin disappeared years ago in the hands of my three year old. so i typically use the end of my turkey baster or my hands to flatten the dough out to approx 2 inches. I also use a glass cup to get my circular shape.
Cut out a few buns and set them on your cookie sheet. then roll up your left over dough and repeat. This recipe should yield around 8 buns. Add sesame seeds if preferred. You can also spread another beaten egg over the tops before baking.
Bake for 15-18 minutes. Then ENJOY!



Thirty Hand Made Days

1 comment:

  1. These look great. I pinned them, thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete